NexTV Africa & Middle East

Complete News World

Biodiversity needs increasing protection globally

The nations of the world will meet this week to begin developing a new global framework within the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity on how to protect and sustainably use biodiversity. Environment and Climate Minister Per Poland is digitally participating in the meeting and will push for Sweden to protect 30 percent of its land and sea.

According to a report by the United Nations Research Group on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES), human activities are causing imbalances in ecosystems, the disappearance of species, and the decline of genetic diversity on a large scale and at a rapid pace. In addition, humankind’s overexploitation of nature’s resources is currently leading to the degradation and disappearance of ecosystem services that provide, for example, clean water, pollination and arable land.

Sweden is behind the introduction of goals to protect 30 percent of the planet’s land and sea. This is in line with what international researchers have emphasized as a minimum to ensure biodiversity.

Man contributes to the impoverishment of biodiversity in the world. So it is our duty to do something about this matter of fate. In the meeting with the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity, I will work for an ambitious framework with global goals that meet the challenges we see as biodiversity loss continues, says Environment and Climate Minister Per Polund.

Protecting 30 percent of the planet’s land and sea will not be enough to secure the ecosystem services that humans fully depend on. Therefore, targets and measures that reduce pressure on biodiversity in the other 70 percent are also needed. Sweden wants the new global framework to include targets to reduce global environmental impacts. This means less pressure from human consumption and production on biodiversity and ecosystem services.

See also  Something promises to adjust exorbitant salaries

Nature-based solutions are a way to protect biodiversity and contribute to reducing emissions or adapting to a warmer climate. Sweden is pushing for a new global framework to include such solutions. Climate change contributes to reduced biodiversity and reduced biodiversity can lead to climate change. Species and ecosystems don’t have time to adapt when the climate is changing faster than ever. For example, damaged ecosystems absorb less carbon dioxide.