In Greece, the intelligence service has Spy on a journalistin Malta the government is responsible for the journalist Daphne Caruana Galizia was murderedIn Slovenia, the government retreated public service money Hungary refused to renew anyone’s broadcasting permit a radio station.
When the Vice-President of the European Commission, Vera Jourova, presented proposals for a new law on media freedom, she stated that the Commission was concerned that media freedom was under pressure. It does not concern only one or two countries.
Trust in European media is declining at the same time as misinformation is on the rise. Our bill should help restore confidence, she said.
Vera Jourova added:
In order to have a functioning democracy, journalists must have the necessary means and protection that allow them to monitor those in power, regardless of whether they are political or economic actors.
The proposal includes, among others:
● Member states must respect the editorial independence of the media. Source protection must be improved. The audience should be who owns the media companies as well as where governments and agencies direct their advertising dollars.
● You must not use wiretapping or other spying equipment with journalists and their families.
● Public service funding must be adequate and long-term. Public service should be for the public and not for a government or a political party.
● Member states must counter the media focus and ensure pluralism.
● You must notify major social media platforms when content is removed from other media.
The European Commission wants to create A new EU body, the European Media Services Council, which will monitor the focus of the media. The new authority must replace the existing regulatory authority. The Council is composed of members from national media organizations.
The proposal now moves to the European Parliament and the 27 EU member states in the Council of Ministers, who have to give their opinions before the law goes into effect.
“Falls down a lot. Internet fanatic. Proud analyst. Creator. Wannabe music lover. Introvert. Tv aficionado.”