NATO is strengthening its presence in its member states in the east, and the United States is sending another 7,000 American soldiers to Europe.
On Friday, the Defense Alliance will hold a digital summit, in which Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson (S) will also participate.
– We are ready – but what we are doing is defensive, said NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg at a press conference in Brussels.
NATO announced that the alliance is taking steps to “further enhance deterrence and defense” for member states in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
The announcement comes after Poland, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania invoked Article 4 and submitted a request for an extraordinary meeting.
We will protect our people and our values. Democracy will always prevail over autocracy. Jens Stoltenberg says that freedom will always triumph over aggression.
The US Department of Defense, the Pentagon, announced Thursday evening that the United States will send in the next few days seven thousand more American soldiers to Europe. The soldiers will be temporarily stationed in Germany, at the same time that US forces are already being transferred to the Baltic states on the ground.
Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg says Russia has “broken peace” on the European continent.
– Russia has closed the door to a political solution, and we regret that.
Stoltenberg describes the Russian offensive as a “conscious, cold-blooded, and long-planned invasion”.
– This is a dangerous situation for security in Europe. Countless human lives are at stake. He says that Russia’s leaders bear full responsibility.
The 30 NATO member states will hold a digital summit on Friday.
– We fully support the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine. Jens Stoltenberg says Russia is using force to try to rewrite history.
Sweden and Finland are invited
Sweden and Finland have also been invited to participate in the NATO meeting on Friday, and Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson has agreed to participate.
NATO will strengthen its presence in its eastern member states, but there are no plans to send troops to Ukraine.
– We support Ukraine, but we give absolute security guarantees only to our member states, says Jens Stoltenberg.
“Falls down a lot. Internet fanatic. Proud analyst. Creator. Wannabe music lover. Introvert. Tv aficionado.”