NexTV Africa & Middle East

Complete News World

At least 17 dead after air strikes in Sudan

On Saturday, the country’s Ministry of Health announced that at least 17 people, including five children, were killed in an airstrike in Khartoum. The attack is one of the bloodiest in the clashes between the army and the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces.

Reporters Without Borders claimed They shot down a military plane on Saturday. A military source told Agence France-Presse, who was not named, that a fighter jet crashed, but claimed it was caused by technical problems.

Fighting broke out in mid-April after months of escalating tensions. The struggle for power between his arch-rivals, Major General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, and his former deputy, Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, leader of the Rapid Support Forces.

According to information from mediators from the United States and Saudi Arabia, the two sides agreed to a 72-hour cease-fire, starting from Sunday. Previous attempts at a ceasefire have had mixed success.

I am Darfur regional In western Sudan, as many as 1,100 have been killed in the fighting in the city of El Geneina alone, according to a US State Department estimate on Saturday.

Doctors also testified that they were overwhelmed by the hundreds of injured people forced to flee Darfur in recent days.

We are in the operating rooms. We desperately need more beds and more staff,” said Sibou Diarra, a doctor with Doctors Without Borders in Adre, Chad.

So far, nearly 2.2 million Sudanese have been forced from their homes, and some 530,000 of them have fled to neighboring countries, according to the UN’s International Migration Agency.

About 150,000 residents of Darfur fled to neighboring Chad.

See also  Extremists get major roles under Netanyahu